Langsung ke konten utama

1 Investment to Rule Them All

Picture

A friend once asked me, “How do I start investing if I don’t have much money?”

That is a legitimate question, especially for students just out of college or working adults who have just entered the corporate world.

To answer my friend’s question, I jogged back my memory to recall out how I first started investing. I, too, didn’t have much money when I started my investing journey.

I remember all I had was the monthly allowance given to me during National Service, which I had squirrelled away diligently.

With the money I had, I invested in books on personal finance and stock market investing. I remember the first book I bought was Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. I also went for an investment course to help bring down the steep learning curve (I had no accounting or finance background from school).

Essentially, what I did was to invest in myself. By investing in myself and not on a broker’s hot tip, I accumulated the knowledge needed to navigate the stock market.

Warren Buffett, one of the most successful investors the world has seen, mentioned in an interview recently that the best investment you can make is one that “you can’t beat” and that is investing in yourself.

He said:

“Ultimately, there’s one investment that supersedes all others: Invest in yourself. Nobody can take away what you’ve got in yourself, and everybody has potential they haven’t used yet.”

By investing in ourselves first, we will have a proper foundation on which to build our stock portfolio. Without such knowledge, we might lose money from our investments without us knowing why.

Even after we have amassed the knowledge needed to invest in stocks, we should never stop learning.

In Tamil, there’s a saying that goes, “Known is a drop, unknown is an ocean”. There’s always something new to learn about investing every day since the stock market is very fluid.

Postingan populer dari blog ini

How do you tell when it's the right time to retire?

How will I know when it's the right tie to retire? Is there a barometer that experts rely on to know when it's the right time to go?--B.K. I don't know of any generally recognized gauge or barometer for calling it a career, but I can tell you that the decision to retire definitely isn't just about reaching a certain age. I recently took personal finance guru Suze Orman to task for suggesting as much when she recently asserted in no uncertain terms that "70 is the new retirement age -- not a month or year before." She's right that many people may need to stay on the job longer these days to accumulate a large enough nest egg to support them in retirement. But to say that 70 -- or any single age, for that matter -- is the right age to retire? That's far too simplistic. The decision to retire involves too many subjective factors that can vary significantly from person to person to be boiled down a single number. So how can you tell when i

Money saving tips - Expert says THIS is the worst way to pay for Christmas

CHRISTMAS is approaching fast and the all too familiar feeling of pressure on our wallets is coming around quick. The last thing you want at Christmas is the burden of how you’re going to pay for your loved ones Christmas presents or how you’ll afford the turkey. There are certain things you ought to try to avoid when you pay for Christmas to make sure you don’t start a new year with bad debt hanging over you. It sounds obvious but before you start spending, if you’re going to have to borrow make a conscious effort to spend less. This doesn’t mean people will think you’re Scrooge; you just need to be savvy. By making tweaks to  how you pay for things , you’ll save yourself money and avoid the 2018 Christmas hangover. Hannah Maundrell, Editor in Chief of money.co.uk revealed  the best and worst ways to pay  for Christmas. Avoid: Store cards: Not to be confused with loyalty cards, store cards are often flogged at the till with the promise of 10% off y

Find investment Zen: When to buy, hold and sell

There is a wealth of ways to invest your money, but let’s face it: you probably don’t have endless time to figure them all out. And with time at a premium, using energy to keep abreast of the ins and outs of your investment portfolio can seem impossible. Although Singaporeans are on average earning more each year, the global market hasn’t been as successful recently — and that’s enough to give anyone pause before approaching today’s complex investment landscape. One way to get to grips with the investment climate is to take advantage of a smart investment tool, which can  help to identify investment opportunities . Standard Chartered Bank now offers Personalized Investment Ideas (PII), the latest tool to give investors the info they need to grow their wealth. Thanks to technological advancements like this, you can invest wisely, and without giving up your valuable time. When it comes to your investments, you have three potential options: Buy Taking risks with your